Topics

www.thegooddocsproject.dev redirect WAS Re: [thegooddocsproject] Limitation on slack registrations?

Erin McKean

Hi folks!

This has been on my to-do list for a while (that timestamp, oof ...) and I
finally got to it today.

Note that we had to use a "synthetic record" in our Google domains, rather
than a CNAME redirect, because the SSL certificate for
thegooddocsproject.dev on Github does not include subdomains. It is now
redirecting with no issue.

This makes me think that we need a "Plumbing Maintenance & Decisions" doc
that gives people info about things like domain names, groups.io, etc. and
who to contact for changes. Thoughts? We could keep it near the decision
log and give it the same timeline format, with a header or a link to
contact info.

I recommend we appoint two members of the steering committee to be Official
Plumbers for each login/service. 😂(I'm happy to volunteer as I already
have domains access thanks to Jo.)

Thanks!

Erin

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 5:05 PM Sanket Totewar <sanket.totewar@...>
wrote:

If you get access to the domain admin panel, can you please also create a
redirection/forward from https://www.thegooddocsproject.dev to
https://thegooddocsproject.dev as it currently gives an error? Thanks.

Should we be adding these in GitHub issues or the Kanban board to track
better?

Sorry guys, I've been sick and couldn't attend the meetings but trying to
contribute when I can.

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 11:17 AM Erin McKean via Groups.Io <emckean=
google.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is set up now for https://angular-notch-258423.appspot.com/

I've tested it and it seems to be working!

If someone can give me access to the domain name registrar I can set up
the
DNS records -- I suggest we use slack.thegooddocsproject.dev for this :)

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 3:05 PM Erin McKean via Groups.Io <emckean=
google.com@groups.io> wrote:

Thank you!

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 2:57 PM Felicity <@flicstar>
wrote:

Erin, you are now an Admin.

On 8 Nov 2019, at 9:08 am, Erin McKean via Groups.Io <emckean=
google.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is what I would like propose that we use:
https://github.com/outsideris/slack-invite-automation

I can set it up to run on Google Cloud but I believe I need to be
an
admin
of our Slack instance to get the necessary tokens to do so ... if
someone
wants to admin me I will set it up :)

Erin

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 1:43 PM Jared Morgan <
@jaredmorgs

wrote:

+1 to relaxing the domain requirement.

On Fri., 8 Nov. 2019, 04:42 Cameron Shorter, <
cameron.shorter@...

wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion Sanket, I'm +1 for that.

On 7/11/19 11:22 pm, Sanket Totewar wrote:
I went to
https://thegooddocs.slack.com recently to take a look at the
registration
process and saw this message

It seems that new registrations are only possible if the email
domain
is
@
google.com

Can the workspace administrator please change this to allow
other
email
domains?

Alternatively, we can send peeps the invite link in the
groups.io
welcome
email if we’re allowed to modify that. What do you think?

Kind regards,
Sanket

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>
<+61%20419%20142%20254>
<+61%20419%20142%20254> <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs
Office

emckean@... | she/her

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs
Office

emckean@... | she/her

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs Office

emckean@... | she/her

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs Office |
emckean@... | she/her

Sanket Totewar

I concur. In fact I think we should have the two/more members spread across
the globe so as to have more coverage.

I am traveling at the moment but I'd like to volunteer to help if there's
anything I can help with on this front.

I am also curious to know why the SSL certificate doesn't work for
sub-domains as we using "Let's Encrypt".

Best regards,
Sanket

google.com@groups.io> wrote:

This is set up now for https://angular-notch-258423.appspot.com/

I've tested it and it seems to be working!

If someone can give me access to the domain name registrar I can set up
the
DNS records -- I suggest we use slack.thegooddocsproject.dev for this
:)

wrote:

[...]

Another ancient email resurrected from the depths of my inbox!

Plumbing page has now been created :)
https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/governance/wiki/Plumbing-&-Maintenance

Please add yourself if you're an admin for an account or service!

(Oh and the SSL for subdomains has been fixed now :) )