Topics

Should we describe image layout in our templates?

Cameron Shorter

Hi Jared, all,
In the about-howto template, and in the actual template we have layed out
images next to instructions (using a table). While I think this is often a
good idea, I think this is delving into the domain style guide rather than
doc content, and as such, probably shouldn't be addressed in our template
per-se. (I note that the Google Style Guide provides guidance on images.)

My reasons:
* Responsive web design principles suggest that we shouldn't assume the
target screen size, and using tables locks us into a specific screen size.
* Applying layout recommendations contradicts the Google's style guide that
we have decided to follow.
* TheGoodDocs templates should focus should be on content rather than style
(although we might cover style elsewhere).

I'm coming to this conclusion after looking at feedback on the about-howto,
where someone was confused by our descriptions of use of images, and I
found that the way I'd fix it would be to start describing layout
instructions.

Thoughts?

I'm tracking this in a ticket at:
https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/templates/issues/105