Topics

Should we be considering schema.org?

Cameron Shorter

I've learned about https://schema.org/ from The Cherry Leaf podcast (about tech writing).

Schema.org maintain, and promote schemas for structured data on the internet. In particular, they provide tags which we probably should be incorporating technical documentation. It was founded by Google, Microsoft, Yahoo and Yandex and using this apparently increases search indexes.

What do others think about including these tags into our templates?

Does anyone have experience with schema.org?

Any ideas on how we would incorporate such tags into Markdown? Or some other wiki?

Anyone interested in finding the right tags for our templates?

Example from: https://schema.org/audience

1. <divitemscopeitemtype="http://schema.org/CreativeWork">
2. <h1itemprop="name">Designing a treasure map</h1>
3. <p>Resource type:
4. <spanitemprop="learningResourceType">lesson plan</span>,
5. <spanitemprop="learningResourceType">learning activity</span>
6. </p>
7. <p>Target audience:
8. <spanitemprop="audience"itemscopeitemtype="http://schema.org/EducationalAudience">
9. <spanitemprop="educationalRole">teacher</span></span>s.
10. </p>
11. <pitemprop="educationalAlignment"itemscopeitemtype="http://schema.org/AlignmentObject">
12. <spanitemprop="alignmentType">educationalLevel</span>:
13. <spanitemprop="educationalFramework">US Grade Levels</span>
14. <spanitemprop="targetName">2</span>
15. <linkitemprop="targetUrl"href="http://purl.org/ASN/scheme/ASNEducationLevel/2"/>
16. </p>
17. <p>Link to lesson plan:
<aitemprop="url"href="http://example.org/lessonplan">http://example.org/lessonplan</a></p>
18. </div>

[1]

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Cameron Shorter

Ellis, thanks for pointing us to schema.org. I've had a crack at aligning
with our 0.1 templates [1]. I suspect you might be able to improve upon
this:

api-overview: Maybe: https://schema.org/TechArticle
api-quickstart: Maybe https://schema.org/HowTo
api-reference: https://schema.org/APIReference