Topics

How to set up a non-archived private email alias for thegooddocsproject?

Cameron Shorter

I've set up a private email list https://thegooddocsproject.groups.io/g/private

Description: This email list is rarely used. It is only available to PSC members to discuss private matters pertaining to people as individuals (like voting in new committers), legal matters that require confidentiality, or security issues.

However, I've discovered that these emails are archived and apparently archiving can't be turned off. That is probably not what we want for a private list.

Jo, I wonder if you know if we can set up an email alias (which forwards to our PSC members) from our hosting provider for thegooddocsproject?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Jo Cook

Hi Cameron,

I'll see what I can do with google domains.

Jo

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 9:02 AM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter@...>
wrote:

I've set up a private email list
https://thegooddocsproject.groups.io/g/private

members to discuss private matters pertaining to people as individuals
(like voting in new committers), legal matters that require
confidentiality, or security issues.

However, I've discovered that these emails are archived and apparently
archiving can't be turned off. That is probably not what we want for a
private list.

Jo, I wonder if you know if we can set up an email alias (which forwards
to our PSC members) from our hosting provider for thegooddocsproject?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

Jo Cook

Hi Cameron,

I'm not sure that we can do email forwarding directly from google to
multiple addresses. Single addresses are fine, it "just works". The
instructions for forwarding to multiple addresses are to create a google
group and then use that email as the forwarding address. That is, I think,
going to put us back to square one as any emails sent to it will presumably
be archived!

For other static sites where I need an email account, I use mailgun
https://www.mailgun.com/. I'd be happy to set up an email under my account
there (it's currently free) if you like?

Jo

wrote:

[...]

Hey Jo,

I'm open to using something like mailgun, but I'm erring toward thinking that we are over-cooking the problem - at least at this early stage in the project.

We are small enough that the PSC know the email addresses of all the other PSC members, so we can just set an email to each other with [private] in the title, or similar.

wrote:

[...]

Erin McKean

Google groups that are created through a GSuite account can be made
no-archive. I can see if we can qualify for a free GSuite account if people
would like?

Erin

wrote:

I've set up a private email list
https://thegooddocsproject.groups.io/g/private

PSC
members to discuss private matters pertaining to people as individuals
(like voting in new committers), legal matters that require
confidentiality, or security issues.

However, I've discovered that these emails are archived and apparently
archiving can't be turned off. That is probably not what we want for a
private list.

Jo, I wonder if you know if we can set up an email alias (which
forwards
to our PSC members) from our hosting provider for thegooddocsproject?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs Office |
emckean@... | she/her

Cameron Shorter

Thanks for the offer Erin. For the same reason I suggested not going with mailgun, I suggest we probably shouldn't go setting up a dependency on gsuite either - at least not yet. I adds an overhead to our community to manage the relationship, remember the password etc. We can potentially come back to this when our community gets bigger.

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cameron!

Because our domain name (thegooddocsproject.dev) is registered with Google
Domains, there's actually not much additional overhead involved in adding
GSuite (that is, we already have logins and billing there).

It also looks like we can use Groups without full Gsuite, just with a gmail
address.

Does this make it more lightweight to use this (groups) as a solution?

Thanks!

Erin

wrote:

I've set up a private email list
https://thegooddocsproject.groups.io/g/private

PSC
members to discuss private matters pertaining to people as
individuals
(like voting in new committers), legal matters that require
confidentiality, or security issues.

However, I've discovered that these emails are archived and
apparently
archiving can't be turned off. That is probably not what we want for
private list.

Jo, I wonder if you know if we can set up an email alias (which
forwards
to our PSC members) from our hosting provider for thegooddocsproject?

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>
<+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254> <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs Office |
emckean@... | she/her

Cameron Shorter

Hi Erin, yes that sound easier. Sounds like a good idea to work out what is
required and put a plan in place.
Cheers, Cameron