From: Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter@...>
Date: Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 7:24 PM
Subject: Re: [thegooddocsproject] Filling out our governance
To: Jo Cook <@archaeogeek>

Great, thanks, would it be okay if you take this thread back on list. (I
know I took it off list, my bad). Erin is planning to review too.

On 30/1/20 4:47 am, Jo Cook wrote:

Hi Cameron,

I've had a quick look and raised a couple of questions, but not many, all
in all I think it's a good document

Jo

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 7:54 AM Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter@...>
wrote:

Hi Jo,
If you could find some time, I'd love it if you could skim over these
proposed processes and do a sanity check to make sure it looks okay. You've
got much more open source community experience than most others in our
community and are most likely to spot any blunders I've made.
If you think it looks okay, and can say so on list, I'll expect others
will back you and I can put it into practice.
Cheers, Cameron

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 at 18:57, Cameron Shorter via Groups.Io
<cameron.shorter=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

As promised a while back, I've finally drafted an expanded set of
processes for the governance of our project, which I'm looking for
feedback on.

I've drawn heavily upon processes from The Apache Foundation - who have
excellent community processes.

Key points:

* I've introduced "Roles", and in particular, the "Committer" role,
which we can assign to someone who is trusted to have access to git, but
is not on the PSC yet.

* I've introduced a private email list (which we'll need to set up).
This is to discuss personal issues (like if we should invite someone to
join the PSC). I've copied this from the Apache best practices.

* I've noted that decisions need to go back to the email list, and
stored in our decision register. (I'm a bit worried about how
sustainable our decision register will be. Is the overhead worth it in
open source? It isn't being used by Apache open source projects.)

* Should we publish our processes to our website (rather than referring
to our git pages)? If so, it would be good to get some help with that.

Suggested
changes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fu5EWfir8xs9mj9nCa_9l4LItl0wyw75BGhXrKcNJIQ/edit#

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

Erin McKean

Hi all, sorry for the delay; I've left comments too. :)

Looks great, only one substantive change from me which is proposing a CoC
committee to deal with (hopefully few and far between) CoC violations.

It's better to have one set up in advance of need with clear guidelines on
how to handle disputes, rather than have to scramble in the event.

And on the principle of never suggesting things you aren't willing to do,
I'll take on the initial work of forming/setting up. :) I would love to
have two people join me, I think three is a reasonable size for a project
as new/small as ours.

Let me know if people think I should make this a separate proposal!

Thanks!

Erin

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 12:37 AM Jo Cook <@archaeogeek> wrote:

As discussed, I've reviewed the proposed governance doc and added a couple
of comments. All fairly minor.

Jo

wrote:

[...]

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

--
Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254 <+61%20419%20142%20254>

--
------------------------
http://about.me/jocook

--
Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs Office |
emckean@... | she/her

Cameron Shorter

TL;DR I'm updating our governance process docs as suggested.

--

Wrapping up this thread. I've created a ticket: https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/governance/issues/6

Looks like we have rough consensus re updated governance roles as per:

Jo and Erin provided feedback in the google doc and email, mostly positive.

Erin suggested setting up a Code of Conduct Committee - which I've parked into another email thread and haven't addressed.

Following feedback came on slack from 6 Feb 2020:

cameronshorter  9:04 PM
I’m wondering if there are any opinions on Roles and Processes: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fu5EWfir8xs9mj9nCa_9l4LItl0wyw75BGhXrKcNJIQ/edit?usp=drive_web&ouid=110542442124937335472

DeafDave  9:07 PM
don’t care - Jo and Cameron have looked at it, we trust them.

felicitybrand  9:07 PM
don’t care - Jo and Cameron have looked at it, we trust them.

jaredmorgs  9:09 PM
dont care