Come join TheGoodDocsProject Fixit at WriteTheDocs conference

Cameron Shorter

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: Come join TheGoodDocsProject Fixit at WriteTheDocs conference
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 08:04:44 +1100
From: Cameron Shorter <cameron.shorter@...>
To: WriteTheDocsAu Attendees 2019 <attendees2019@...>
CC: thegooddocsproject@groups.io

**

*Hello documentarians,*

*

I’m hoping a bunch of you will feel inspired to join TheGoodDocsProject <https://thegooddocsproject.dev/>FixIt workshop, 13:00 Thursday 14 November 2019 at Write the Docs Conference, Sydney Australia <https://www.writethedocs.org/conf/australia/2019/schedule/>.

We started TheGoodDocsProject <https://thegooddocsproject.dev/>to create best-practice templates and writing instructions for documenting open source software. With our alpha release, we’ve created some common templates which we’d love people to test, break and improve.

Topics:

Diverse contributions encourage. We hope to cover:

1.

As a user or developer or writer: Try writing instructions for your
favourite application based on one of our templates. Give us feedback.

2.

As a technical writer or information architect: Review one of our
templates, try and find limitations, suggest modifications, offer
sections to add, debate improvements.

3.

You have another idea:Let’s hear it.

Schedule:

5 min: Introduction.

--

30 min: Break out into groups brainstorming topic.

15 min: groups present back to everyone.

--

30 min: Break out2.

15 min: Groups present2.

--

5 min: wrapup and thanks

Logistics:

*

We will have flip charts and pens for brainstorming, and

*

We will use track changes and Google Docs. (Bring a laptop.)

*

Source templates: https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/templates

Post Fixit:

*

Join our email list <https://groups.io/g/thegooddocsproject/>or
slack chat <https://thegooddocs.slack.com/>.

*

Help us triage ideas into our kanban board
<https://github.com/orgs/thegooddocsproject/projects/1>and issue
tracker <https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/templates/issues>.

*

Contribute <https://thegooddocsproject.dev/contribute.html>further.

Who are we:

*

Cameron Shorter, Business Analyst by day, Open Source Developer and
accidental Technical Writer by night.

*

Jared Morgan, Senior Technical Writer at Squiz

*

Erin McKean, Docs Advocacy Program Manager at Google

*

Felicity Brand (attending remotely), Technical Writer for Google
Season of Docs

Others <https://github.com/thegooddocsproject/governance/blob/master/ProjectSteeringCommittee.md>from TheGoodDocsProject*

--
Cameron Shorter